Thursday, October 14, 2010

Leonetto Cappiello

Cappiello, Livorno Stagione BalneareLeonetto Cappiello was born on 9 April 1875 in Livorno. He was an Italian painter and art designer who lived mostly in Paris. He is now often called “the father of modern advertising” because of his innovation in poster design.Cappiello, Bitter CampariCappiello, like other young artists, worked in way that was almost the opposite of his predecessors. He was the first artist to use bold figures popping out of black backgrounds, a startling contrast to the posters early tradition.Cappiello, Pâtes BaroniIn 1898 he moved to Paris, where his caricatures were published for the first time in the humor magazine “Le Rire”. Cappiello made his name during the poster boom of the early 20th century, with creations markedly different from the works of Jules Chéret, the leading poster artist of the time.Cappiello, Parapluies RevelCappiello died in Cannes in 1942. Over the course of his career he produced more than 530 advertising posters which surprise and delight the viewer. Today, his original posters are still collected, sold at auctions and by dealers around the world.

(From Leonetto Cappiello on Wikipedia)

22 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

These are wonderful! Love these posters.

Anonymous said...

Timeless beauty !

Thank you for sharing, please have a good Thursday.


daily athens

Lowell said...

I didn't know that! But his posters are fantastic not only because of the colors but because of the way the characters come to life!

Michelle said...

I like the colors and flow of the posters. Things like this never go out of style.

Jack said...

Wonderful. wonderful. wonderful. I am a fan of Cappiello but I haven't figured out a place to hang one of his posters (nor how to persuade my wife!).

Randy said...

I have seen these in many kitchens before. I love the Campari one.

Kaori said...

Wow! I love how he uses such bold bright colors! Magnificent eye-catchers :D

cieldequimper said...

Oh wonderful. The first one is Toulouse-Lautrec inspired but the others aren't. Love them!

Dina said...

Fun to look at and read about.

Small City Scenes said...

And even I--way out here in the country--know about these posters. And now I know more information. Thank you. MB

Jilly said...

How fascinating. I've seen this artist's work before. We all have! I didn't know he was born in Livorno. You show us some great examples of his work.

Menton Daily Photo

Monte Carlo Daily Photo

B SQUARED said...

In so many ways, they are better than what is produced today.

brattcat said...

Excellent post!

Cezar and Léia said...

I love vintage posters, fascinating work!
Léia

Halcyon said...

Wonderful! I love these old posters. Thank you for sharing the story behing them.

joo said...

I love those posters! They are so elegant and funny at the same time.
I also like information provided - thanks:)

Lois said...

Wonderful! He was very talented.

Francisca said...

Oh yes! I have no trouble seeing these posters as valuable collectors' items. They are magnificent! And I agree with B, so much more artistic than most modern day ads.

Gunn said...

Creative and beautiful ART!

Elettra said...

Queste straordinarie locandine hanno alle spalle un grande artista

Stefan Jansson said...

They do look familiar. And I wouldn't mind owning all of these.

Rob Siemann said...

You can see the Parisian flair. Wonderful posters! Reminds me a lot of Aristide Bruant, same town, same time frame.