Saturday, September 12, 2009

From the Fortress

In the middle of the older part of Livorno, the “Fortezza Nuova” is a perfect vantage point for a panoramic view of its surrounding.Fortezza Nuova, LivornoFrom the bastion above the main entrance we can see the polygonal dome of “Santa Caterina”, the pinkish building in the middle is another part of the Courthouse we saw a couple of days ago. Behind one of those windows, on the yellow building on the left, has his office our benefactor, my friend Stefano.Fortezza Nuova, LivornoThe view on the oversized bridge called “Piazza della Repubblica” with its Grand Dukes talking long distance, is almost perfect from above the fortress.Fortezza Nuova, LivornoWe can see “Porta San Marco” (Saint Mark Gate) through the whole length of “Via Solferino”. In 1849 this gate was the designed target of the old gun shown yesterday.Fortezza Nuova, Livorno“San Marco-Pontino” is a quarter which takes its name from the old gate seen above and this inconspicuous bridge. In Italian “pontino” literally means small bridge.Fortezza Nuova, LivornoAnother bridge and some interesting buildings: the second on the right is “Palazzo Stub”, already seen some time ago.

See also: Fortezza Nuova - Inside the Fortress - Fortress with a Secret - Fortress from the Sky - The Fortress, at Last!
Search labels: Fortezza Nuova

19 comments:

Ellie said...

That is a very impressive wall!

Tinsie said...

Great pics - just like a tour!

Lowell said...

Boy you hit a lot of nails on the head with these photos. Nice to see some of these places from a different perspective...

They are all great shots, VP. I don't think I realized how water is such a big part of Livorno!

I think my favorite shots are the first and last...which doesn't mean much, other than I liked them the most.

James said...

Wonderful series! You would be an excellent tour guide. :-)

martha said...

You present your city in such an interesting fashion, you make me really want to visit. Lovely photo essay.

Marcel said...

In my perception the combination of houses and colours look very Italian.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Some really beautiful and lovely shots !! Thanks for sharing the beauty ..Unseen Rajasthan

Hilda said...

Amazing views from the fortress. And what amazes me even more is how all your buildings seem so old. I adore it!

Antjas said...

I noticed a crane in the 3rd picture. Does new construction tend to be modern or do they try to make it blend in with the old?

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

I would love to be walking around this fortress this weekend. i always enjoy time in Italy at a location as wonderful as this.

tapirgal said...

It looks very inviting today. Has the weather cooled down yet? I feel myself floating to Italy.

Julie said...

Do all the canals radiate from the polygonal fortress? Quite an effective method of defence, I would think. So is the canon still aimed toward that same bridge? You have given us a terrific series of posts this week, VP.

VP said...

@ Antjas - The pattern of new and old in this part of Livorno was determined by the air raids in the last war. Damaged building were restored, destroyed ones were completely rebuilt with a more modern look.
I skipped, just in front of the entrance of the fortress, a modern glass and concrete building.

Andreea said...

Beautiful views. Makes me miss living in a city by the water.

VP said...

@ Julie - In one of my first posts, “Inside the Pentagon”, you can see a satellite image where the “Fortezza Nuova” is the green top corner of the pentagon traced by the “Fosso Reale”. Minor canals cross the Venice quarter on the left of the fortress.

stromsjo said...

Good to revisit those Grand Dukes and their long distance chit-chat.

Say hello to our benefactor!

Baruch said...

Great pictures which gives you a nice feel for the place

Ming the Merciless said...

Wow, the city vistas are stunning. What a beautiful city. I love the bridges and old architecture.

Julie said...

I forgot to tell you that I went back to that original post: terrific take from the satellite, VP. I am trying to get one of my area now!!