Sunday, May 10, 2009

Santa Caterina

Santa Caterina church, LivornoThe church of “Santa Caterina” is the heart of the “Venezia Nuova” (New Venice) quarter, developed around 1629 destroying a significant part of the “Fortezza Nuova”. “Santa Caterina” was built in 1720 by the architect Giovanni Del Fantasia, but in 1746 the dome had to be enclosed in the tambour for reasons of stability. The exterior of the church is now devoid of the ornamental stone covering, giving to the building a not very appealing look. This is where “Via della Madonna” ends, the dome of “Santa Caterina” is clearly visible from the other end of the street.
Santa Caterina church, LivornoThe white building (on the left of the church in the first image) is the old “Domenicani” prison, so called because it was built as a monastery for the Dominican Order in 1716. After the inmates were transferred to a new facility in the 80's, the building was completely renovated and is still awaiting a new destination.

See also: Inside Santa Caterina

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopefully former prison will be put to good use. And I hope too that the fascinating church will regain it's covering and be as beautiful as I think it has been before.

Fio said...

Giovanni Del Fantasia... What an intriguing name for the architect!
:)

henny said...

"Domenicani" prison, it takes very long time for a new use.
The church of "Santa Caterina", is it shown as foreground in the second image? I'm sorry, I'm a bit puzzled.

VP said...

@ henny - You are right to be puzzled: the front of the church is shown in the second image.
The only complete view is from the back because narrow alleys block the view from the other side.

cieldequimper said...

Austere wouldn't you say?

Hilda said...

What happened to the ornamental stone? I had a tough time figuring out which one was the church — none of them really looked like one. I'm glad you posted the second photo. I hope it looks much better inside than outside. It may all be a matter of not judging a book by its cover.

brattcat said...

I rather like the bare walls of the church. And the encased dome. It's so unexpected and conveys a feeling of transformation, as if the church is still contemplating destiny. As for the prison, how much of a torment it must have been to see the freedom of the water moving through the canal and to be confined.

B SQUARED said...

A prison next to a church, very convenient.

crocrodyl said...

Interesting and unique shape of the church.

Clueless in Boston said...

I never would have picked that out as a church because of its unusual shape. I'm sure many a churchgoer has felt as if they were in a prison when a service drags on an on:)

Marcel said...

Hi Vogon, tomorrow I will reply on your request... :)

joo said...

Strange shape of the church. I like the first photo with canal and boats - nice place.

Cezar and Léia said...

THe first shot is fabulous! Lovely stones around the canal.
Léia

Lowell said...

Interesting story. This is not, as you say, a very appealing building. Looks more like a prison than a church, for sure.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

This does not look like a church. Interesting history. I love your Ciao photos, what a contrast. I also enjoyed your love and padlocks photo and information. What a hoot. Sorry I have been a bit behind. work has taken over my life lately. In answer to your question about the Agave flowers, i will go and take a photo of an agave and post it. give me a few weeks on this one as I am starting a nightscape series and then another series after that, then back to my individual but hopefully interesting photos. Ciao!

Tash said...

Interesting - I was octagonal shape. I read up on the Angel's Gate Lighthouse and the bottom section of it is also octagonal.
PS - Trillian's lighthouse from last Thursday was really delightful. It made me giggle when I saw it.