Saturday, January 25, 2014

Glad to See Again

Since mid-2010 my vision kept deteriorating constantly and in late 2012 I wasn't able to recognize a face within a few meters from me. Walking around was still relatively easy on familiar grounds, but a bit difficult outside my usual path. As you know, I kept taking pictures: my zoom lens became an eyesight enhancer that made me able to read distant signs and street plaques.
Dutch church, scali degli Olandesi, Livorno
Exactly one year ago, on 25 January 2013, I underwent a quite simple surgical procedure that allowed me to regain most of my eyesight. This photo of our Dutch church was my last “blind” shot.
Coastline, Marina di Pisa
The following day I had an after-surgery visit in Pisa and they finally freed my eye from a protective patch. Coming back to Livorno we stopped in Marina di Pisa, where I took my first shot “after”.
It was a beautiful day.

See also: Outside the Cage - Chiesa degli Olandesi

15 comments:

Revrunner said...

Congratulations, VP! One would have never known.

Gunn said...

Beautiful windows.

Gunn said...

Good news, that it went well with you.
I did not know, but it must have made a huge difference.

Randy said...

What a beautiful church.

Jack said...

It must have been frightening to have your eyesight declining. I am so glad for you that the surgery has restored most of your vision. Hurray!!!

Dina said...

This is a brave and inspiring story, VP. Thank you for telling it.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Glad the visual is clearer for you now. Amazing how a camera can help us out in so many ways ;)

Andy said...

From personal experience I know the feeling of fading eyesight and then getting it back. We both are living in the right age of medical science.

Karl said...

These are good news, VP, I am very glad for you!

cieldequimper said...

And this is a beautiful post!

Birdman said...

Surgeries are amazing. 40 years ago, you'd still be feeling around in the ;dark'.

Traveling Hawk said...

I'm glad to hear that your visual is much better now! As for the help of zoom I am quite aware of it too...Nice photo after.

Arianna said...

Che magnifica veduta! Ciao, Arianna

Halcyon said...

Beautiful shots! Glad to hear your surgery was successful and helpful to your photography. :)

Unknown said...

Glad you have recovered your sight, VP, and I love your last "blind" shot.