Thursday, April 30, 2009

Faventibus Ventis

Palinuro training ship, Livorno“Faventibus ventis”, the Latin for “by favourable winds”, is the motto of the tall ship “Palinuro”, named with the Italian form of the Latin Palinurus. In Roman mythology Palinurus was the helmsman of a ship of the Trojan hero Aeneas. Venus, the mother of Aeneas, pledged the life of Palinurus to Neptune, god of the sea, as the price for the safe passage of Aeneas and his people from Troy to Italy.Palinuro training shipHere our “Palinuro” is safely moored in front of the Lonely Tunesque “Moby Wonder” and the “Oosterdam”, a cruise ship of the Holland America Line.

External links: Palinurus (Wikipedia)
See also: Palinuro - Palinuro and Vespucci - Tall Ships Walk - Moby Wonder

17 comments:

rob said...

Un terzetto veramente improbabile!
Apprezzo sempre le tue incursioni latine che mettono alla prova la mia zoppicante cultura ginnasiale!

joo said...

What can I say - beautiful. I miss sea:)

cieldequimper said...

Great post, perfect for the upcoming weekend!

Baruch said...

Beautiful and interesting

nobu said...

Wondelful design on the ship.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

Excellent capture and so artistic. And yes, it is good to be back and I am still catching up on everything. I am glad you enjoyed the Frank lloyd Wright series. I have only a few more photos but will break tomorrow for Theme day!

Coskunca said...

Thanks for sharing detailed photos. bye.

B SQUARED said...

My wife is descended from a long line of sea captains. We have several paintings of the ships they used to sail. This is very similar to theirs'.

Hilda said...

The mythological gods and godesses really thought nothing of sacrificing other people to satisfy their wants, didn't they?

Love that motto, and the golden figure head. The ship is absolutely gorgeous too, especially in your first photo yesterday.

Unknown said...

I love this golden figure head. When steel became the norm in ship building a lot of the charm went out of the ships. I can almost smell the tar and the salt in the air when seeing these photos.

crocrodyl said...

Beautiful ship! I like also the colour of the sea and this detail which is simply fantastic!

Lowell said...

These are great Vogon Poet...and I'd like to say I hope you go through all of life "Faventibus ventis"!

Fio said...

I agree with everybody!
I love your harbour pictures :)

amatamari© said...

You really talented in photographing these details and
I like very much the first picture!

:-)

Thanks!!!

Tash said...

terrific photo & antiquities lesson! The juxtaposition of the Palinuro against the Looney Tunes is priceless.

henny said...

I thought it's always women as figure head on a ship. Do you think the Palinuro is making good friend with the Looney Tunes?

Ayie said...

wow, this is great!