Monday, June 29, 2015

Squirting Cucumber

Ecballium elaterium, squirting cucumber, Via Salvatore Orlando, Livorno
We all know that it's a bad world out there, but one would not expect to be attacked by a plant. This happened a few days ago when I tried to photograph some strange bulbs in Via Salvatore Orlando: they repeatedly popped, squirting something in my direction. Only after the fact I have learned that these plants are called squirting cucumbers, and now I know why...

External link: Ecballium elaterium (Wikipedia)

19 comments:

Lois said...

How odd and interesting! I have never heard of such a thing. Glad you liked my bench today. I thought of your blog when I saw it.

Lowell said...

Very funny! That would be a big surprise getting squirted by a cucumber plant! But I'm glad you survived the attack! :)

Randy said...

I hope it didn't damage your camera and it's a good thing you didn't have a reaction to them.

Jack said...

You sure make unusual enemies.

Revrunner said...

Careful out there, VP. :-)

Linda said...

Squirting cucumbers? I never knew they existed.

Babzy.B said...

nature is full of surpriqse , i watched a video , very impressive ! :)

Luis Gomez said...

Beautiful and interesting.

Karl said...

What a surprise, VP, never heard about this...!

William Kendall said...

I've never heard of that!

cieldequimper said...

Oh gosh, I don't think I've ever seen these or heard of them! Missile plant is what I'd call it!

Dina said...

That is so creepy!

Halcyon said...

I've never heard of these. But I will know to be careful if I ever cross their path!

Marleen said...

An exploding cucumber? That really sounds weird!

RedPat said...

How weird is that!!

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh ny! I confess I have never heard of these squirting cucumbers before. :)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

No way VP! How very peculiar, who knew you had to beware the simple cucumber :)

Unknown said...

Isn't nature amazing?!

Stefan Jansson said...

That's a bit odd!