Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Cold Milling Machines

Cold milling machine, cold planer, piazza del Municipio, Livorno
A cold planer parked in Piazza del Municipio. A cold milling machine removes part of the existing asphalt from a road as part of the process of resurfacing it. Milling smooths the surface and the resulting material can be reused in the new asphalt hot mix. (Picture taken last April)
Cold milling machine, cold planer, viale Marconi, Livorno
Another cold planer ready for the epochal and long awaited resurfacing of Viale Marconi. (Picture taken last June)

External links: Pavement milling (Wikipedia)

13 comments:

Revrunner said...

By extraordinary coincidence, the road next to my house is being milled and paved at night. NOISY!

William Kendall said...

The equipment is a little different than what we see here, but some of that work is being done on a road near my place.

Randy said...

They do create horrible noise.

Jack said...

By an even more extraordinary coincidence, my street is getting milled and paved this week, too. The equipment here is smaller.

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

That's amazing. Have never seen one of these before. What an impressive machine! (Feeling a little left out that our street isn't being re-asphalted.)

Dina said...

That second angle is especially impressive.
Thanks for the terminology and explanation. I always wonder how to translate kirtsuf from Hebrew, every time I see and hear those machines eating up a road.

Stefan Jansson said...

Impressive machines.

Karl said...

I hate these monsters, but they do a good job!

Birdman said...

Sure they are around, but don't think I've ever seen these machines.

Luis Gomez said...

Had never seen one of these.

Halcyon said...

Thanks for these photos and explanation. I find renovations and engineer-y stuff really interesting!

cieldequimper said...

These things scare me!

Unknown said...

I don't think I've seen these before.