Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Astice (A5379)

Astice A5379, port of Livorno
The “Astice” (literally: European lobster) was launched in 1957 as a non-magnetic in-shore Minesweeper, which means that her hull is mostly made of wood. She is part of a series of vessels called “classe Aragosta” (Lobster class) whose design is inspired by a similarly edible type of British minesweepers: the Ham class.
Astice A5379, port of Livorno
In the early 2000's the “Astice” underwent a thorough modernization and is now used as a navigational and maneuvering training vessel for the cadets of the Naval Academy.

External links: Astice (Italian Navy)

8 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Very interesting. Great images. :)

Michelle said...

A boat with purpose!

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a beautiful boat, I like a lot your first image and the fortress background!
hugs
Léia

cieldequimper said...

Very interesting. Before I finished reading, I was wondering about minesweeping...

VP said...

I have a soft spot for this boat: I was 'launched' in the same year.
My 'modernization' is still in progress...

Dina said...

So you are twins with the "Astice"?

Nice to see the tower in back of her.
Lobster and ham, not kosher, so I wouldn't want to eat the boats but I sure enjoy the pictures and your facts.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice write-up and photos.

Unknown said...

Love the top shot. What a great contrast to the wonderful background.