Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cages & Palm Trees

Cages and palm trees, LivornoHere people are crazy for palms: they'll do everything to grab a few young trees, which aren't so easy to find in Livorno. Palm trees for public use have to be grown in cages at the now defunct zoo, known as “Parterre”.
Cages and palm trees, LivornoWith the coming Palm Sunday surveillance will be increased, not only because of obsessed garden owners. Local youngsters are eager to make a profit from this Holiday, selling leaves to the faithfuls for the Sunday blessing.

Before further commenting, please notice the date of the post!

14 comments:

Marcel said...

Interesting, palms behind bars.... every culture values things and plants differently...

cieldequimper said...

So has the zoo now just become a park?

Me said...

Now that's something new! I've never heard of palms growing in cages! Very interesting and I like the pic of the palm/animal .

Tash said...

A real import business opportunity! We've got enough here for Livorno's desires. Fascinating post.

Baruch said...

Oh I remember those old zoo cages. Zoo's have indeed come a long, long way. Great idea to safe guard the palms in these old cages.

B SQUARED said...

You should come over to my yard. I have them everywhere but no cages. No body wants them even with Palm Sunday approaching.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

You caught me on this joke. I finally get it by looking at the date of your post. very clever Vogon Poet! I am glad you enjoyed the Yellow Chihuly Saffron Tower for theme day! I have a day time photo of the Saffron Tower up today. Thanks for your comments.

Fio said...

Ci ho creduto. Scema!!
:D

valeria said...

You fooled me..., ..dé!

brian stout said...

do you have to pay to see them too? what did they do to the animals?

Hilda said...

LOL! You sure caught me on this one!

rob said...

Ok ok, mi aggiungo alla lista dei gabbati !!!....

Ming the Merciless said...

Palm trees are probably more common in the tropical climate so I can understand why these trees are so precious in Livorno.

tapirgal said...

That's very funny :) And the image is surreal. Very nice!