Thursday, April 15, 2010

Palazzo Rosso

Palazzo Rosso, piazza Cavour, LivornoThe “Palazzo Rosso” (Red Palace) is probably the most impressive building in the southern part of “Piazza Cavour”. It was built after 1837 by the archictect Innocenzo Gragnani.Palazzo Rosso, piazza Cavour, LivornoThe three floors above the rusticated base have half columns of the three classical orders: Doric, Ionic and Corinthian.Palazzo Rosso, piazza Cavour, LivornoThe carved decorations of the massive front door of the building.Vintage postcard, Palazzo Rosso, piazza Cavour, LivornoOnly the corner building in the middle of the old postcard was rebuilt after the last war, the rest of the square is almost as it was a century ago.

See also: Piazza Cavour - Cavour

17 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Very impressive. The columns, the great door and then the carving of the door it says it all. I always love old postcards and see if I can find anything still standing. Good job. MB

Lowell said...

Amazing! What a door! Well, the entire building is magnificent!

tapirgal said...

I wish we had palazzos here. This is magnificent.

Kaori said...

Again, I love how the old buildings are still there! The shutters that are closed look like they're painted onto the walls. And the carving on the front door is amazing!

Luis Gomez said...

Great shots! I love how they are really timeless.

Leif Hagen said...

That's quite a magnificent palazzo! I think I could manage to work and/or live there quite comfortably!

James said...

What a wonderful old building. It's really neat seeing it in a picture from long ago.

Lois said...

It's beautiful! I love columns and this is impressive.

Saretta said...

I counted 36 columns...12 of each type!

Unknown said...

I really like this building. Both façade and colour are beautiful!

Halcyon said...

Gorgeous buildings. I love the wood detailing on the door. Very nice!

B SQUARED said...

Everything about it is impressive.

cieldequimper said...

Classical simplicity makes it timeless and very elegant.

Cezar and Léia said...

That door is really beautiful, I liked a lot the traditional façade.
Léia

Kate said...

Question unrelated to this post (lovely as it is, though. Bill from Ft. Lauderdale sent me to your benches blog. Looks like others can post their bench there. How do I do that? Send me an email, which address is posted on my profile. Many thanks!!

Wolynski said...

What a stunningly lovely building. Not that complicated to build, yet outstanding. It's all in the perfect proportions.

Ilse said...

I definitely can see myself living there.