This mascaron was once placed above a public fountain on a corner of the “Palazzo Pretorio”, in what is now Piazza Grande. After a make over of the building in the late 19th century, the grotesque relief was moved to a new location, inside a man-made grotto in the Parterre public gardens.
Mascaron fountain, Sandro Pertini park, Parterre, January 2013
Mascaron fountain, Parterre, 1901
(Postcard digitized from the collection of Antonio Cantelli)