Sunday, February 17, 2013

Amen

Dutch church, Livorno
On Valentine Day the final ranking list of The Places I Love census has been posted: our Dutch church is only ninth, with 23685 votes. You may even see this as something good, but I prefer to call it another missed opportunity by Livorno.
The winner, with 53953 votes, is the Citadel of Alessandria, a city of 95350 inhabitants in Northern Italy. A simple math says that at least a 56.6% of its population actively supported this choice.
In spite of the heroic efforts of our friends Stefano, Matteo and many others, only a scarce 14.7% of the 161192 inhabitants of Livorno voted for the church, with the decisive help of many voters from abroad. Counting only the ‘foreign’ votes our church would be first, with 327 votes and a good edge on the second.

External links: Final Ranking of the 2012 Census (FAI)
Search labels: Dutch church

15 comments:

Revrunner said...

Well, it's a jewel. And I hope something still can be done to save it. I used to remove stained glass windows from old churches destined to be torn down while a student in undergraduate school and I can tell you that there is gold in that glass alone!

Jack said...

You tried, VP. Many of those foreign votes were cast because of your efforts.

Hilda said...

So sad. It looks like a very handsome church once. I hope it still gets restored one of these years—even as a restaurant, if need be.

Randy said...

It could be so beautiful.

Cezar and Léia said...

I like so much those doors!
Léia

Dina said...

Oh bummer. I wish we could have voted more than once. Do you have many readers in Livorno, I mean readers of your blog? Did they know?

Gunn said...

Just sad!

VP said...

Dina - I am definitely not a source of information for my fellow citizens. However, they had many other and better ways to know about the census. The simple truth is that most of them are not interested and care only about other things. I think it's time to take note of this.

cieldequimper said...

Many jewels have died like this over the centuries because too few people care...

Traveling Hawk said...

I am sorry nothing came out. Nevertheless, you are NOT a careless citizen of Livorno, we know this! My sympathy to your friends who tried to help too. May be the building will be saved, somehow, in the last minute.

Michelle said...

You should still be proud of your efforts! It shows you care about your community!

Lois Evensen said...

What a shame to lose such a beautiful place.

Unknown said...

Something else has to be done!

Dina said...

Don't give up.

Halcyon said...

That is sad news. :(